Wednesday 17 October 2007

Automn In Normandie: Deauville And Honfleur

My french teacher told me that there is no better time to visit Normandie than automn. Most of the tourists are gone, the climate is mild and the beaches are empty and clean. It was my first time visit to this place and I was highly exited because of the glamour and history linked with this location. Everybody had different views what to do there and I wanted to make up my own opinion. As I live in Paris, I personally like the paris attidude and therefore I liked Deauville which is like a cutting of Paris set at the beach . Deauville has a really beautyful beach with the typical "Deauville umbrellas" I only know from Vogue Photo shoots since then. Directly located at the beach you find a reasonable priced Thalasso Spa to complete a perfect beach day.
For accomodation I refused to stay at the Normandy Barrière or Royal Barrière, directly located at Deauville beach. I decided to go for a private Bed&Breakfast in Honfleur to benefit from restaurants, cafés and a nice harbour. Honfleur is totally different than Deauville. It is located in the country, full of cafés, galleries and small epiceries with an artsy flair you will not find elsewhere. Then negative aspects linked with beautyful places like this are always the tourists. It is now automn but already in the morning buses with crowds of people arrived who made their way through the small streets.
The Bed&Breakfast ("La Petite Folie Honfleur") I chose, is owned by an american woman and her husband who lived in Paris before. Penny, the owner made a real effort to make every room look different, cosy and warm. She has a wonderful taste and feeling for style and made me immediatelly feel home.Located in the center of historic Honfleur (St Catherine), the house is situated between the places of birth/museums of Alphonse Allais and Eric Satie. La Petite Folie is comprised of two houses located side by side. The main house (bed and breakfast) dates to 1830 and is Directoire Style offering 5 beautiful bedrooms all with ensuite bathrooms. The second dates back to the 14th century and houses two exquisite apartments each of which comprise a floor of the house and are self-catering.

Breakfast is being served at big wooden table in the morning. She serves regional products that you can benefit from a french breakfast. I am a person who appreciates details and I loved that Penny serves calvados, which is typical for the region, in the evening with delicious chocolate as a "good night drink". This is something which differentiates this accomodation from others...you are more than a guest and more than welcome.

No comments: