Monday 29 January 2007

Films I like…Paris, je t'aime

Rainy Sunday afternoon…do you have any better idea than going to a charming old cinema with big candelabra and fresh popcorn?
Yesterday I watched the Film "Paris, je t'aime" as I kind of pleasant anticipation what will be avaiting me in 3 weeks….yes it is only three weeks left and we have neither a flat nor organized the relocation. Crazy but true. I tend to feel very uncomfortable from time to time but being a very impatient person I try to take this as challenge to therapy myself. If I go through all the worst case scenarios I now decided to tell myself "never think that far ahead!". Maybe this is the solution. But now coming back to the film...the original subject of this post.


Apart from my personal situation it was a wonderful film. It deals with the city "Paris" as main character in the foreground being divided in it's arrondissements and the destinys of different characters living or visiting Paris who try to get along with their personal situations. The film has the following construct: Paris, Je T’aime sets out to showcase the universality of Paris by allowing 21 directors from around the world to construct their own short films inspired by the city. No rules were established; the only criterion was that the films had to be set in Paris. The concept was set up by Emanuelle Benhiby and many famous directors and actors contributed.


Paris, je t'aime is dealing with the following urban districts:


  1. Montmartre - written and directed by Bruno Podalydès

  2. Quais de Seine - co-writtenn by Paul Mayeda Berges et réalisé par Gurinder Chadha

Love it because ... it is good to see that there are men who are able to see real beauty...


3. Le Marais - written and directed by Gus Van Sant

4. Tuileries - written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen

Love it because...it made me laugh.


5. Loin du 16e - written and directed by Walter Salles and Daniela Thomas

6. Porte de Choisy - co-written by Gabrielle Keng and Kathy Li and directed by Christopher Doyle

7. Bastille - written and directed by Isabel Coixet

8. Place des Victoires - written and directed by Nobuhiro Suwa

9. Tour Eiffel - written and directed by Sylvain Chomet

10. Parc Monceau - written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón

11. Quartier des Enfants Rouges - written and directed by Olivier Assayas

Love it because ... it shows how love could change from time to time.

    12. Place des fêtes - written and directed by Oliver Schmitz

Love it because ... it shows how unfair destiny is most of time.

    13. Pigalle - written and directed by Richard LaGravenese
    14. Quartier de la Madeleine - written and directed by Vincenzo Natali

15. Père-Lachaise - written and directed by Wes Craven

Love it because ... he reminds my of my boyfriend and she reminds me of myself.


16. Faubourg Saint-Denis - written and directed by Tom Tykwer

17. Quartier Latin - written by Gena Rowlands, directed by Gérard Depardieu and Frédéric Auburtin

18. 14e arrondissement - written and directed by Alexander Payne


The film was first shown at the Cannes Festival in 2006. Actors who contributed include Fanny Ardant, Juliette Binoche, Steve Buscemi, Willem Dafoe, Gérard Depardieu, Marianne Faithfull, Ben Gazzara, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Bob Hoskins, Olga Kurylenko, Aïssa Maïga, Emily Mortimer, Nick Nolte, Natalie Portman, Miranda Richardson, Gena Rowlands, Ludivine Sagnier, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Rufus Sewell, Leonor Watling, Elijah Wood and others.


My mood was changing during the whole film. It went from sad to happy to affected to funny. I don't want to comment on any of the scenes. I would recommend to watch the film and build your own opinion on it. I included film photos of my favorite scenes. I hope to say one day as well "Paris, je t'aime"...

1 comment: